
I was walking up Columbus Avenue on the Upper West Side of Manhattan the other day and inside the windows of the ubiquitous free newspaper and Learning Annex catalog stands on each corner of the street I saw the above sign. The signs went on for a few blocks and I could not help myself from taking one as they were so brilliant and I have somewhat of an addiction to works on paper, specifically of a political or (anti) social activist nature. (Okay, I lied - I took more than one "America For Sale" because I felt like I was witnessing true art history and I wanted all those mementos of the moment for myself)
At first I did not think this for sale sign said what it said. Then I looked again and I instantly fell in love with it. On the back it says it's from something called a "protest series" called America For Sale by Ellen Levin. I'm not sure who Ellen is but thanks. Ellen.
What I get from the piece is that Americans need to stop thinking they can buy their happiness by consuming cheap goods that we buy from overseas sources that deliver the lowest common denominator. We all need to get on board with the "cradle to cradle" concept and know what we are buying and all that it entails.
Have we become a third world country now because of our shortsightedness and wide spread demand for instant pleasure and instant profit?
We're all to blame: lazy consumers, money hungry manufacturers, the politicians who will say anything to get elected and take money from just about anyone.
Maybe the next agit art street art sign Ellen Levin will make is AMERICA: SOLD!
No comments:
Post a Comment